Warning – Scam Contractors Following Storm Ciarán
The aftermath of Storm Ciaran has left countless properties damaged and in need of repair.
Unfortunately, there are individuals who wish to exploit these circumstances for their own gain, and it is important that we remain vigilant to prevent scam contractors preying on those affected by the storm.
Scam contractors will often demand upfront payment, only to disappear once the money is exchanged. Or perform substandard work or cause further damage, leaving property owners with greater losses.
We advise everyone to follow these precautions:
- Verify contractor credentials: Ensure the contractor is licensed, bonded, and insured. If you have any concerns, please contact Trading Standards (01534 448160) or the Health & Safety Inspectorate (01534 447300) before commissioning works.
- Avoid paying in full upfront: Legitimate contractors typically do not demand full payment before the work is completed.
- Get everything in writing: From cost estimates to timelines and warranties, how they will do the job safely, documentation is crucial. A reputable contractor will provide a detailed contract.
- Check references: Ask for and contact previous clients to inquire about their experiences.
- Report suspicious activity: If you encounter a potential scam, contact the States of Jersey Police on 01534 612612.